This is the perfect dish to elevate your typical fish and/or seafood fry. I stuffed jumbo, Louisiana shrimp with a jumbo, lump crab meat-based stuffing. This recipe is NOT for when you're short on time, but the final product is worth the effort. This stuffed shrimp tasted like restaurant quality. They were crispy, and the stuffing reminded of a crab cake! Check out the Instagram reel here and have some fun with this one! Feel free to cut the recipe down if 2lbs is too many shrimp for you!
2lbs of jumbo shrimp (peeled, deveined and butterflied)
Old Bay (to taste)
Slap Ya Mama Seasoning (to taste)
Lemon Pepper (to taste)
Smoked Paprika (to taste)
Badia Complete Seasoning (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Onion Powder (to taste)
1 12 oz box of Zatarain’s Shrimp Fri (or your preferred brand)
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of buttermilk
4 tbs of butter
1 small onion, diced finely
2 stalks of celery, diced finely
1/2 green bell pepper, diced finely
1 tbs of minced garlic
1/2 cup mayo
3 Tbs of mustard
1 Tbs of Worcestershire Sause
1 ½ cup of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 lb of jumbo lump crab meat
Make Crabmeat Stuffing
1. In a skillet, on medium heat, melt butter.
2. Add onion, celery and bell peppers. Sauté until softened.
3. Add minced garlic and sauté an additional minute.
4. Set veggies aside.
5. In a bowl, add mayo, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, egg and dry seasonings.
6. Whisk this mixture together.
7. Add crab meat, sauteed veggies and breadcrumbs.
8. Gently mix in an attempt to not break up the lumps of crab to much.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
1. Butterfly your shrimp as shown on the video. Be careful to not completely split the shrimp.
2. Season the shrimp to taste with dry seasonings.
3. Grab a sheet pan and stuff each shrimp with the crabmeat stuffing.
4. Mold the stuffing in the shrimp so that it has a slightly oval shape.
5. Place the stuffed shrimp in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
6. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
7. Add flour to a bowl.
8. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
9. In another bowl, add Shrimp Fri.
10. Dredge a shrimp in the flour and then dip it into the buttermilk egg wash. Shake off the excess wash.
11.Finally, dredge the shrimp in the Shrimp Fri.
12.Repeat this process until all of your shrimp are battered.
13.Deep fry the shrimp in batches of 3-4 at a time for 6 minutes.