Everybody loves smothered chicken in my home. It pairs well with aa variety of side and its oh so easy to make. Yes, even from scratch! Tag me if you decide to make this classic comfort food. The instagram reel can be viewed here.
1-2 lbs of chicken wing drummettes
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of corn oil or vegetable oil
2 tsps of kitchen bouquet
2 cups of chopped onions, celery, bell peppers (I used a container of Guidry’s precut seasonings)
4 cups of chicken broth
Slap Ya Mama Seasoning (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Onion Powder (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Paprika (to taste)
Adobo with Complete Seasoning (to taste)
1. In a large bowl, season the chicken to taste with dry seasonings.
2. Start with 1 1/2 cup of flour and cover the chicken in flour. Add more flour if needed.
3. In a large pot, on medium-high heat, add the oil to the pot.
4. Brown the chicken on both sides.
5. Remove the browned chicken from the oil and set aside.
6. Add about a 1/4 cup of flour to the oil in the skillet and stir continuously until a brown roux is formed.
7. Add chopped veggies and cook until softened.
8. Stir in chicken broth until well mixed. Optional: Add kitchen bouquet to darken further.
8. Add chicken back in and stir to mix. Chicken should be covered in gravy, add water if necessary.
9. Allow chicken to cook 1 hour or until cooked thoroughly.
10. Serve over warm rice.