I love all fried seafood but there's something about crispy, Southern fried catfish that makes it my favorite. I soaked my catfish in buttermilk to remove some of the fishiness and coated with yellow mustard to add an extra crunch. Serve with potato salad and sweet peas if you really want to be an honorary Southerner lol. Check out the Instagram reel here!
2 lbs of catfish filets (cut in strips)
1 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup of yellow mustard
Lemon Pepper (to taste)
Paprika (to taste)
Slap Ya Mama Creole Seasoning (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Onion Powder (to taste)
Badia Complete Seasoning (to taste)
1 24 oz box of Zatarain's Fish fry, any flavor)
Vegetable Oil (Enough to deep fry fish)
1. In a bowl, pour buttermilk over catfish and cover.
2. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
3. Remove from fridge and pour off excess buttermilk, if any.
4. Add yellow mustard and dry seasonings. Note: Do not over season the fish, especially if you are using seasoned fish fry)
5. Mix well until catfish is coated in both.
6. Pour fish fry in another bowl.
7. Squeeze off extra liquid from catfish and dredge in fish fry.
8. Fry at 350 F for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Fish should float to the top.
9. Place fried fish on paper towel lined pan.