The first thing people ask when they show up to a cookout is who made the potato salad. Don’t get caught slipping 😂. Potato salad is one of those things that’s easy to make and even easier to mess up. I used russet potatoes and a lot of eggs.
After I boil them, I generally add seasonings, mustard, Mayo and relish until the ancestors whisper “That’s enough my child.” Since I love y’all, I wrote down EXACTLY how much I used. Here’s the biggest tip I was given when I first started making potato salad: Add your condiments in SMALL increments. Mix it up, taste and repeat! Everyone’s tastebuds are different, I do this until I have the perfect blend for my taste! My recipe will serve as a guide!
Make sure you check out the Instagram reel here!
3 lbs of Russet Potatoes (About 6-7 potatoes)
3/4 cup of Blue Plate Mayonnaise
1/2 cup of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of sweet pickle relish
Slap Ya Mama Creole Seasoning (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Onion Powder (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Salt (for boiling the potatoes)
Badia Complete Seasoning (to taste)
1 yellow onion (diced finely)
1 stalk of celery (diced finely)
4 boiled eggs (egg whites only)
1. Peel potatoes and dice.
2. In a large pot of salted water, boil about 10 minutes or until they can be cut through with a knife. Do not overboil!
3. Boil the 4 eggs and peel. Remove the yolk, set the whites aside.
3. Drain the boiled potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add the boiled egg whites and diced vegetables.
5. Season with all of the dry seasonings except for the smoked paprika.
6. Add the mayo, mustard and pickle relish.
7. Mix with a spoon and then use a potato masher to make the mixture a more creamy consistency. Note: If you like a chunkier potato salad, omit the potato masher and continue to mix with a spoon.
8. Taste the potato salad and adjust the taste accordingly using the condiments. Example: Add relish for more sweetness, add mustard for more “spice” or mayo to smooth the texture and tone the other flavors down. It’s up to you!
9. Once the potato salad is mixed completely, smooth it out with the back of the spoon.
10. Garnish with smoked paprika
Please let me know if you enjoy this recipe!