It was only right that I spent Father’s Day in the kitchen prepping food for my faves—my Dad and my hubby. This twice basked potato casserole was amazing with grilled steaks and fresh veggies.
What makes this recipe so delicious is the chopped applewood bacon, freshly grated cheese and the combination of russet and Yukon gold potatoes. This one will quickly become a highly requested dish in your home.
1 stick of butter
2 cups of milk
16 potatoes (about 2.5 lbs of each-combo of Yukon and Russet)
Salt (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
Slap Ya Mama Seasoning (to taste)
Onion Powder to taste
1 cup of sour cream
1 8 oz block of sharp cheddar
1 8 oz block of mild cheddar
1 lb of applewood smoked bacon
1 bunch of green onions (chopped)
Oil of choice (to rub on potatoes, I used corn oil)
1. Rub clean potatoes with oil of choice and poke holes in them.
2. Sprinkle with salt and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
3. Cook bacon in skillet or oven while potatoes are baking.
4. Chop bacon into small pieces and set aside.
5. Shred cheeses by hand or use a food processor to shred. Set aside
6. Remove baked potatoes from oven and allow to cool before peeling.
7. Place peeled potatoes in a mixing bowl.
8. Place milk and butter in a bowl and melt in microwave.
9. Pour milk and butter mixture into potatoes.
10. Add sour cream, half of shredded cheeses, bacon (little over half), dry seasonings and green onions to potatoes.
11. Mix well with a spoon and then use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to a smoother consistency.
12. Spread potato mixture into a greased 9 x13 Pyrex dish.
13. Top the potatoes with the remainder of the shredded cheese and bacon.
Note: In my instagram video, I used bacon bits because I added all of my cooked bacon into the potato mixture. This is totally a matter of preference. If you use bits, I’d recommend using real bacon bits and not imitation.
14. Bake uncovered for about 15 mins and covered for another 10.